Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Quick Blurb on My Story

Hey readers,

I just thought I'd like to start off my first post by explaining how I came to be blogging about genetics. So, here we go!

I originally came to UW - Madison with every intention of being a genetics major. Additionally, I had hoped to become a genetic counselor after college. As great as my aspiring hopes were, things changed for the better, at least in my opinion. Through a communication assignment given to me by a really great TA, I got to know an amazing professor in the Department of Animal Sciences that let me in on a little secret: if I wanted to study genetics, I didn't have to confine myself to just the Genetics department. He let me know that the study of genetics can be found in a variety of other departments, including his own.

I'd always wanted to be able to study animal genetics, but I didn't realize until that very moment that if I actually wanted to do that, I'd be better off switching majors. So I did.

The real lesson from my little blurb is that if you're interested in something as a career, pursue it. No matter how crazy it might seem at first, go after it. Because if you're truly, deeply interested in whatever it is, you'll always be able to find a way to make ends meet while pursuing it. And as the old saying goes, if you love what you do, you won't have to work a day in your life.

That really great TA I mentioned? Well, she assigned a final project in which my class is to use a medium and communicate about something each of us is interested in. So, here I am, blogging about genetics. Really, though, this assignment is just an excuse to do something I'd always wanted to.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy my future posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep all comments respectful and appropriate. Any comments who do not follow these guidelines will be removed. Thank you.